1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups sliced mangoes, (fresh or frozen and thawed)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened1 teaspoon vanilla extract1/2 cup mango nectar
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F (175°C).
- FOR TOPPING: Grease 9-inch-round cake pan.
- MELT butter in small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add brown sugar; stir until incorporated.
- Pour mixture over bottom of prepared pan. Top evenly with mangoes.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Separate yolks and whites from two of the eggs.
- Beat granulated sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until almost creamy. Beat in remaining whole egg, then beat in two eggs yolks.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture alternately with nectar, ending with flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Spoon batter evenly over mangoes.
- BAKE for 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack. Run knife around inside edge of pan to loosen, then invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.
Makes 10 servings.
Estimated Time: Preparation - 20 min Cooking - 1 hrs 5 min Cooling Time - 30 min cooling